Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Back in the Motherland...

Getting off the plane is always a slightly surreal experience... delirious from fatigue, uncertain about how it will be, and excited to see my friends, I stepped into the hot, humid, Uganda air. The trip was long, but not as long as it has seemed in the past-- the world truly is a small place! I couldn't believe that I got onto a large mechanical device, and 24 hours later arrived across the world... crazy...

I'm so happy, albeit dazed, to be here. We decompressed in Kampala today, charging our phone cards, setting up meetings, and even going for a swim at a local hotel (I know, I'm DEFINITELY not a Peace Corps volunteer anymore!). Tomorrow we head to the villages for a few days, and back in Kampala for the weekend. And with the weekend comes... STELLA! She's coming to Kampala with the kids to see me. I can't wait!

More updates later... now back to my ice-cold Tusker beer!

3 comments:

Mariel said...

So glad to hear that Stella is actually going to make it. That's great news! Miss you...

yodler said...

"Tusker is a a well-known beer from Kenya. Its logo is an elephant bearing tusks in memory of the 1923 death of George Hurst at the tusks of a bull elephant. On every bottle is written the slogan "Bia Yangu, Nchi Yangu", meaning "My Beer, My Country" in Swahili. It has won many international prizes and is available virtually everywhere in the world." -- from wikipedia. i'm trying to get the experience from here.

Aarthi said...

We miss you, sis! Take lots of pics of the little ones for us. Have a safe trip! -Love, fee