Sunday, March 30, 2008

May she rest in peace...


Today was a hard day for my family. After a number of years of struggling with Alzheimer's and heart disease, my paternal grandmother passed away. I found out this afternoon, and immediately went to my uncle's house in the East Bay to see her one last time-- I'm so glad I hadn't left for Uganda yet...

I think she had been in pain recently, so I am happy that her end came quietly and relieved her from this pain. Mostly, I am sad for my Dad, uncle, and aunts, who really feel the sadness of losing their mother. As we all gathered to mourn the loss of my paati (the Tamil word for grandmother), her kids shared some stories about her, and mostly about her life in India. It was nice hearing about her as I'm sure she would like to be remembered-- happy and at peace.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sorry to hear about your patti. She looks so sweet in the picture, makes me think of my patti. I hope your family is ok, and tell me about your trip in person when you return!

Megha Doshi said...

Meera - I'm so sorry to hear about your family's loss. I'm glad you got a chance to see her and spend time with your family. We miss you here in Berkeley --- but I've been keeping up with your adventures by reading your blog. Can't wait to hear about it when you return!

Megha

Anita Balan said...

Hey Meera, I am glad you were able to see her before you left for Uganda
I have wonderful memories of amma(that's what I used to call her) from India during my childhood. I will cherish those memories forever. I wish I kept in touch with her more frequently the last couple of years
Anyway, enjoy Uganda and it's nice to see what you are upto through your blog

Tanya said...

My father died on March 16th, on the day of my parents' 63rd wedding anniversary. Many dear souls have made their transition into the world of spirit this spring. My love to you and your family....Tanya