Thursday, June 26, 2008

Depth = 30m, Visibility= 15m,

Just a quick note from the beautiful island of Koh Tao!

The journey TO Koh Tao was very interesting though. We came from Koh Samui, the island where we flew to from Cambodia. Koh Tao is supposed to be a 1 1/2 hour boat ride away. Little did we know, we chose the day of the biggest storm of the season to make the trip. About 30 minutes into the trip, the boat started rocking and turning, and soon we were in a full-on downpour. Christy, Janet, and I were on the top, where we thought we would benefit from the fresh air. Well within minutes we were drenched and half of the boat was puking into white trashbags. Janet turned white as a sheet and spent the rest of the ride with her head on my shoulder; I was holding her head down so she wouldn't get tossed out of her seat with every pitch of the boat. Christy held it together for awhile, until she started getting physicaly tossed around the boat (she was standing). She spent the rest of the trip near the trashcan. Shockingly, I held it together, probably solely because I went into mother mode with poor Janet almost passed out beside me. Four hours later, we made it to the island, exhausted.

It's been worth it thoguh... for the past 3 days , I've been diving in the most gorgeous water. I already had my PADI Open Water Certification, so I decided to get my Advanced Open Water, which allows me to dive to deeper depths (up to 30m) and which taught me how to properly navigate using a compass and dive computer. We also did a night dive, which was amazing, if only because it was a completely new experience for me. Overall, it was amazing and I'm so glad we came!

Tonight we take another boat (eek!) to Krabi, on the other side of the peninsula. More beach paradise!

1 comment:

Tanya said...

I got queezy just reading about the adventure...Farm love, dear one....T.